Pages

Tuesday 1 October 2019

Mini Album Makers ~ October Challenge: Faux wooden Inlay

Hello Creative Friends
How are you all doing..??

It's so nice to take a little break from busy life and get back
to blogging today. With the start of a new month it's time for
October's Mini Album Makers Challenge.


In need for a practical place to store creative ideas
I've created a faux wooden veneer notebook.

With admiration for Marquetry and the talented way they inlay wood
this creation came about when I discovered some self adhesive
wood veneer sheets within my stash, similar to straw rather than
wood I will call this *Faux* wooden inlay to save any confusion.

Here's how it all came to be and those how to do's...

Taking two pieces of card size 8½" x 5"
scoring and folded both at 3¾ and 4¾
this creates a 5" x 3¾" sized album.

One piece forms the album cover with the second piece the inner cover.
A hole punch nips the spines edge to anchor elastic to hold notebooks
and punched side holes to thread elastic that will hold a pencil.


To create the front cover I've die cut a tree image 
peeled off the adhesive backing, stuck down on to a page 
then stained the image with distress ink.


Carefully piecing those bits we usually throw away back 
into the design the contrast of colour is really effective. 

Cut up strips of the veneer are used to build up the inlay to the size of
the cover darkening some of the design using an alcohol marker. 


Larger sheets of adhesive veneer are used to cover the album. 
With the inlay panel now cut down to size I triple embossed to 
create a lacquer effect using clear embossing ink and powder 
gently heating each layer so's not to scorch it's surface. 
Then glued the embossed panel into place. 


 This is the inside cover covered with the self adhesive veneer


and three small notebooks covered with veneer and 
coloured with alcohol markers which are all 
held in place by the elastic as is the pencil.


Gluing the front and inner cover together I have left the 
spine unglued so the elastic can easily be replaced if needed.


An inspirational quote is handwritten inside with a 
brown pencil reminding me a little of pyrography. 


That triple embossing adds great weight to the cover 
which closes securely like a good hardback book.


A simple design with no complicated clasps or closures makes this
5" x 3¾" album extremely accessible when an idea comes to mind...


This month Seth Apter is our generous Sponsor @ 
full set of 8 PaperArtsy stamps as Octobers prize.


Please pop on over HERE and see what the Mini Album Makers 
creative and inspiring Design Team have made this month.

We'd love you to share your creations with us 
please follow the LINK HERE...

Sending creative wishes your way 

Hugs Tracey xx

13 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Fabulous albums, love how you made the veneers, wonderful technique. Happy October, hugs, Valerie

Dorthe said...

Dear Tracey , another amazing book from you, so beautiful how the front cover came out, the way you used all from the die cut. and the material really say nature and wood and tree , and as always created so beautifully. You will so enjoy using this fat wonderful book, Tracey .
A birthday gift is soon to be packed and send your way :-) my dear . Have a lovely week , I send you big hugs . xoxo

Cath Wilson said...

Wow, Tracey. This is amazing! I love tess, so right up my street, lol. I'll come back tomorrow when I can read your post properly tomorrow, when I can concentrate more. The variety of what you create amazes me! Gorgeous.
Cath x

Redanne said...

Tracey, your faux wooden veneer notebook is so beautiful, the inlaid trees look so much like real Marquetry and the embossing gives such a wonderful finish. An excellent tutorial too, I really enjoyed seeing how you brought this project together. Enjoy the rest of your week! Hugs, Anne xx

Sue said...

This is really beautiful Tracey, those tripple embossed trees are stunning, and those veneers are just perfect. I hope you get to have some more 'me' time soon. Have a very happy week, Sue xx

Susie Bentz: My Time to Play said...

My father was a cabinetmaker so I am always fascinated with things made of wood. This is really beautiful! I love the quote and it does resemble pyrography!

Words and Pictures said...

Love how you've framed that wonderful tree die on the cover for the marquetry effect, and the wood-look throughout is just lovely. Fabulous album.
Alison x

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, what an amazing make! I loved seeing how this came together, it is such a beautiful design and I love the little bunny rabbit hiding under the tree 😁. Thanks for the inspiration and wishing you a happy Friday and weekend! Hugs, Jo x

Mrs.B said...

WOW Tracey this is stunning. Loved seeing how you created the faux wood veneers, very creative. Love the tree design.
Avril xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

This looks brilliant! Thanks for the inspiration - hoping to get some crafting time soon! Chrisx

Julia Aston said...

Goodness! this is so beautitiful in the wood veneer - you created a beautiful die cut tree scene on the cover! Julia xx

sarascloset said...

Oops! Just lost my long comment! I've been scrolling through all your posts, and this one stopped me dead in my tracks! What a fabulous book you have created with those wood veneers, each colored beautifully by your talented hands. (Something I never knew was out there; I've tried die cutting wood sheets from cigar boxes with disastrous results.) You have been one busy lady, and I've enjoyed reading about each project, although I've only got time to comment on one. So sorry; still playing catch up with my favorite blogs after being away in Sept. Sending hugs!

Shilpa Nagaonkar said...

Brilliant idea and book, Tracy, very unique.